Adult Education Classes and Trips
Programs designed for you to improve your knowledge and practice your skills in some of the most beautiful locations in the region! Register by clicking the links below.
Wondrous World of Warblers with Homer Hansen – August 16 and 18
Warblers are some of North America’s smallest birds, and are known for their wide variety of colors and long migrations from South America and the West Indies to northern Canada and back.
Their jittery movements from branch to branch make it challenging to hold them in your binocular sight.
Learn how to distinguish between fall warblers in southeast Arizona: This workshop will cover key structural characteristics, comparisons with similar species, and vocalizations.
- Birder level: intermediate to advanced
- Fees: Members $110. New for non-members: $145 plus 12-month Tucson Audubon membership
- Limited to 10 spaces
- Classroom: Thursday, August 16, 2018, 5:30-8:30 p.m. at the Tucson Audubon main office, 300 University Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85705
- Field trip: Saturday, August 18, 2018, time and location TBA at classroom session — please leave the day open
Advanced Nature Photography
with Stephen Vaughan
– October 11 and 13
Ready to take your photography to an advanced level? Topics include:
- proper exposure techniques, including how and when to use exposure compensation
- histogram use and how they relate to exposure
- how and when to use different exposures and auto focus modes
- depth of field, flash exposure and ISO
- Fees: Members $75. New for non-members: $110 plus 12-month Tucson Audubon membership
- Limited to 10 spaces
- Classroom session: Thursday, October 11, 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Field trip: Saturday, October 13, 2018, 7 a.m. – noon
- Location for both dates: Tucson Audubon’s Mason Center, 3835 W Hardy Road, Tucson, Arizona 85742
Wait list policy: If you sign up for the wait list you will be contacted to complete registration if an opening becomes available.
Cancellation policy: For cancellations made more than 7 days in advance a full refund, less 25% administrative fee, will be given. No refunds can be made within 7 days of a class. To cancel your reservatiion, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 520-209-1812.
Meet Our Instructors
Homer Hansen has a passion for sharing birdwatching with others and instructs numerous workshops about birds, birdwatching and bird ecology. A native of Willcox, Arizona, Homer served as chairman of the Wings Over Willcox birding & nature festival for 17 years. He is also co-founder of the Sulphur Springs Valley Young Birders Club and the annual Arizona Young Birders Camp.
Stephen Vaughan is a professional nature photographer and instructor. His photographs have appeared in numerous publications including Audubon magazine, as well as Audubon books and calendars. Steve was also president of Aiken Audubon Society in Colorado Springs for 5 years.
Both Homer and Steve will be leading fieldtrips and workshops at the 2018 Southeast Arizona Birding Festival.
Tucson Audubon Society
300 E University Blvd. #120 Tucson, AZ 85705
3835 W Hardy Rd.
Tucson, AZ 85742
Paton Center for Hummingbirds
477 Pennsylvania Ave.
Patagonia, AZ 85624