Become a Volunteer!
Tucson Audubon Society is a diverse, conservation-focused organization with a variety of opportunities to volunteer. Whatever your interest, we have a role for you! To learn more, email email@example.com or call at 520-209-1811.
OUR VOLUNTEERS ARE GREAT! Share a memorable experience you had with a Tucson Audubon volunteer.
Current Positions and Projects Available
We have some exciting volunteer opportunities happening over the next few months. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
SAHBA Home & Garden Show, April 6-8th
Tucson Audubon’s booth will feature bird friendly landscaping and ideas on how to make Tucson a better place for birds. Volunteers who help will be admitted to the show for free and parking with shuttle service is safe and very easy to use. All you need to help is a good attitude! If you are interested please contact Luke Safford at email@example.com. Available shifts:
- Friday, 12:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. or 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Sunday, 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Elementary Field Trip to Sweetwater Wetlands, May 8th
We will be hosting Tully Elementary at Sweetwater Wetlands on Tuesday, May 8th and we could use 12-14 volunteers to help introduce students to nature. This will be a fun and meaningful experience! If you are interested please contact Luke Safford.
Restoration Work in Southeast Arizona
If you like working outside and improving habitat for birds then you would be a great fit for our Restoration Team. We are involved in removing invasive plants, planting natives, stream restoration and more. Our next restoration event is:
- Thursday, March 29: Removal of invasive grass at the Paton Center for Hummingbirds, 7am – Noon
Let us know that you’re interested by emailing Luke Safford and we’ll get you outside with our team soon!
Important Bird Area Surveys
Spring is a busy time for bird surveys, below are our upcoming survey opportunities, please click on the link to register for the survey or you can contact Jennie Macfarland for more information.
- Bendire’s Thrasher: Tuesday, April 10
- Elf Owl: Saturday, March 31; Monday, April 2
- Gilded Flicker: Throughout April, more information and registration here.
- New IBA Survey Routes: To join the team and get more information please click here.
- Elegant Trogon: Sunday, May 6; Saturday, May 26; Sunday, May 27; Saturday, June 2; Sunday, June 3. To sign up for any or all of these dates please click here.
- Yellow-billed Cuckoo: Interested in being a YBCU survey leader? Come to our training July 10-11, click here.
Paton Center for Hummingbirds, Feeder Fillers and Birding Ambassadors
This is a fun volunteer assignment in a beautiful environment! We need volunteers who are willing to spend 4-6 hours at the Paton Center for Hummingbirds filling feeders and greeting visitors especially in the afternoons and on the weekends. If interested contact Luke Safford and we will provide training as needed.
Nature Shop Attendant (University Blvd. or Agua Caliente location)
Volunteers for the Tucson Audubon nature shops are truly faces of the organization, and often the primary contact between Tucson Audubon and members/the public. A Nature Shop Attendant rings up customers, restocks materials in the shop, answering questions from visitors, and managing the main phone line for Tucson Audubon. A Shop Attendant is responsible, dependable, has some knowledge of birds in Southeastern Arizona, enjoys working in a shop environment and sharing their love of birds and conservation! Opportunities to further your learning about binoculars and birding. Contact volunteer coordinator if interested.
Tucson Audubon Programs
Check out our programs to see if you are interested in contributing as a program volunteer.
- Nature Shops – Cash register sales, product display, web sales
- Birding field trips – Trip leader, children’s birding programs
- Youth Education – Field naturalists, program organization, office support
- Habitat restoration – on-site field work, research planning
- Arizona Important Bird Areas – Bird surveys, site stewardship, data entry
- Membership and development – Fund raising, grant writing, mail and office support, events planning
Calendar of Volunteer Events
Check this calendar for up-to-date postings of episodic, schedule-specific, and event opportunities. To view ongoing positions, or those with flexible schedules, please refer to above postings. Unless otherwise noted, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to get more details or sign up for any of these roles.
What’s Next? The Application Process
- Complete the volunteer application: PDF application (printable)
- Attend an orientation meeting with the Volunteer Coordinator
- Pick an area of interest
- Meet with department head for further training and discussion of your role
Tucson Audubon Society
300 E University Blvd. #120 Tucson, AZ 85705
3835 W Hardy Rd.
Tucson, AZ 85742
Paton Center for Hummingbirds
477 Pennsylvania Ave.
Patagonia, AZ 85624