Enter to win a pair of Zeiss Terra binoculars!Proceeds benefit our youth birding programs
Buy tickets in our Nature Shop, over the phone (520 629-0510), or at a Tucson Audubon event! Raffle drawing on May 15, 2018. Thank you!
News and Events
Calendar Key: Tucson Audubon Events | Birding Field Trips | Volunteer Opportunities
Spotting birds in support of Tucson Audubon . . . that’s the essence of Birdathon, a southeast Arizona tradition since 1987.
Between April 7th and May 7th, the “Traditional” Birdathoner will pick a 24 hour period and go birding for the birds, raising support and awareness all across southeast Arizona. The “Creative” Birdathoner will bring extra personality to their Birdathon and stretch it out over multiple days/weeks.
What is Birdathon and how do I participate?
- Like walk-a-thon, but instead of walking, go birding and gather pledges per species seen. Click the “About” button below for more details!
- Fun challenge everyone – kids, adults, beginners, and experts. How many bird species can you find?
- Hold your Birdathon any time from April 7 – May 7; your day can last from 1 hour to 24!
- Join a team or lead one! Gather a group of friends and go find birds for a fun, different activity
- Prizes will be awarded in a variety of categories for those doing a “Traditional” Birdathon that takes place during a 24 hour period.
Spring Wing Fling – Membership Gathering
- Guided, morning bird walks—Every hour, on the hour, from 7 to 10 am!
- Coffee and snacks
- Information about this year’s Birdathon
- And more!
American Ornithology Meeting 2018
At the Hilton El Conquistador (MAP)
Public invited! Please join us for the 136th annual meeting of American Ornithology and the second annual meeting of the American Ornithological Society, to be held in Tucson, Arizona, 9-14 April 2018. Following our long legacy, this meeting once again will offer a great opportunity for sharing and discussing scientific research in all areas involving birds. The meeting will place special emphasis on research and conservation focused on our 2018 meeting theme of Celebrating Connections: Birds Across Borders.
- open to the public: a special evening keynote address from Dr. Ron Pulliam, founder of the Borderlands Restoration Institute and Professor Emeritus, University of Georgia
- open to the public: a special evening symposium on 40 years of birding and research in southeast Arizona, honoring the careers of Dr. Stephen and Ruth Russell, our Honorary Co-Chairs for the meeting
- a binational symposium on desert bird research and conservation across our southern border
- Field trips: Local professional bird guides will lead all overnight, one-day and owling trips
Birding Southeast Arizona App
A great interactive companion to our Finding Birds in Southeast Arizona, the new Birding Southeast Arizona app is now available for Apple iOS devices (iPhone, iPad), and an Android version is coming soon! A collaboration between Tucson Audubon and the Southeastern Arizona Bird Observatory, the app covers over 130 birding sites in six subregions in and around Tucson, all vetted by local experts.
- Use GPS to find birding “sites near me”
- View details and a list of common species for each site
- Get turn-by-turn directions and find nearby amenities
- Search all sites for a “target bird,” and find the nearest location
- Access Audubon’s online bird guide for quick reference in the field
- Plan your next trip by searching for sites near a city or ZIP code
- Tag your favorite spots and share with your friends
- Track and log your sightings and share custom sighting maps with your friends via Facebook
The app is listed in the App Store as “Birding SEAZ” and costs $9.99 Proceeds benefit the education, research, and conservation programs of the Tucson Audubon Society and the Southeastern Arizona Bird Observatory.
Tucson Audubon’s 2016 Annual Report
Learn about the outcomes of our very successful 2016. Information and updates on all of our conservation, advocacy, recreation and engagement activities.
Tucson Audubon Society
300 E University Blvd. #120 Tucson, AZ 85705
3835 W Hardy Rd.
Tucson, AZ 85742
Paton Center for Hummingbirds
477 Pennsylvania Ave.
Patagonia, AZ 85624